How do I become a member of SVOSH?
- Be a full-time UMSL College of Optometry Student
- Pay dues ($10 per academic year)
- Participate in the organization through workdays, fundraising, and meetings
- Have a desire to provide eye care both locally and globally
How do I qualify to go on a mission trip through SVOSH?
- Students who have accumulated at least 30 hours of work. (Hours are earned by attending meetings, workdays, and fundraising)
- To receive a travel grant for a trip students must also write 3 sponsorship letters AND one of the following: 1) give a presentation about their trip to a group willing to partner with SVOSH or 2) send a summary of the trip with photos to the current SVOSH at UMSL President for posting on the Facebook page and Website.
- 1st and 2nd year students will not be given authorization for humanitarian trips.
- 3rd year students will be given authorization for humanitarian trips beginning with the summer after the successful completion of the 2nd year curriculum.
- 4th year students will not receive authorization to attend a humanitarian trip during an external rotation.
- 4th year students may only attend humanitarian trips during a UEC rotation or Community Services Rotation B.
- Only one student may attend a humanitarian trip during the same rotation.
- Students will receive one week of clinic credit for a humanitarian trip. Additional time lost from clinic assignments will have to be made-up!
- Students may only attend humanitarian trip(s) for no more than 10 school days during their time at UMSL.
- Students may attend humanitarian trips at non-academic times at their own discretion.
- Students on academic probation at the end of the fall semester of the 2nd or 3rd years when humanitarian trips are planned and assigned will not be given authorization to attend a humanitarian trip.
- The SVOSH student organization will plan organized tutorial sessions (study circles) for students who miss class time while attending humanitarian trips.
- The SVOSH student organization will post the names of students, the humanitarian trips they will be attending and contact information.